If you’re like most homeowners, you have a storage, or tank-based water heater. It’s not necessarily inefficient, but you’ve had a decent amount of maintenance work done, and your water heater isn’t really too old. Wondering if there is a better option out there? A water heating system that doesn’t cost so much in utilities every month, and doesn’t take up your entire basement? Have you ever considered a tankless water heater?
Tankless, or instantaneous, water heating systems are defined by their small size – however, these space saving systems offer much more than added capacity in your living room. Tankless water heaters cost less to operate, they’re environmentally friendly, and they offer a continuous amount of running water.
How They Work
The concept of a tankless water heater isn’t complicated – but it’s entirely different from the process of a storage, or tank, water heater. With a storage water heater, your water sits in that big storage tank, heated by the boiler that sits below it. With a tankless water heater, a specific amount of water is pre-heated through an ignited flame (called the secondary heat exchanger), and then passes through a primary heat exchanger.
The process behind a tankless water heater is much more efficient and scientific than a tank water heater, giving you safer, simpler and faster results.
The Top 6 Benefits
- No Sitting Water – A tankless water heater is exactly that – tankless. This means heated water is used only as needed, as opposed to it sitting in a tank producing stubborn, hard-to-clean limescale buildup.
- Continuous Water – Because a tankless water heater functions on an as-needed, on-demand basis, it never encounters the problem of heated water shortage – a tankless water heater offers an endless supply of heated water.
- Eco-Friendly – Tankless water heaters are extremely energy-efficient, so they assist in the universal goal of reducing air pollution. Not only that, tankless water heaters are smaller in size, taking up less space in your home and, eventually, in landfills.
- Long Lasting – Tankless water heaters have an average lifespan of 20 years – the average lifespan of a storage water heater is 10 years. These fuel-efficient, tankless systems last longer because they do not have the sediment build up a storage or tank water heater does.
- Space Saver – A tankless water heater is approximately the size of suitcase. They take up only a small portion of your basement wall. No large tank necessary.
- Low Cost – We saved the best for last – tankless water heaters cost less to run. Its on-demand functionality guarantees hot water only when it’s needed, so you pay for hot water only when it’s used – a tankless water heater saves you a tremendous amount on your monthly utility bills.
A tankless water heater is more beneficial than you may think – its small size is definitely a bonus, but a tankless water heater also offers more opportunity in money and energy saving than a storage tank. Consider these six main benefits before you replace your storage water heater with another storage water heater – a tankless system may be more beneficial to you in the long-run.
For more information on choosing the right water heater for your home, call 610-431-1616 (Chester County, PA) 610-565-9999 (Delaware County, PA) 610-879-0511 (Montgomery County, PA) or click here to speak with an expert HVAC technician at MoreVent Heating, Air Conditioning And Plumbing.