With winter right around the corner, you want to make sure your furnace is reliable when you need it most. Don’t get caught in the cold once the first chilly weather rolls in and then worry about getting your furnace repaired – or worse, replaced. Instead, get a furnace cleaning and tune-up today.
You should have a furnace tune-up (and other HVAC unit tune-ups) at least once a year, particularly in the fall before the temperature drops. When your heating system is dirty or clogged, it has to work much harder to maintain the same level of warmth. A proper furnace cleaning saves you up to 30% on your utility usage, enabling your furnace to run more efficiently throughout the season.
When considering an HVAC service provider for your next furnace cleaning, run through this checklist to ensure you’re getting the most for your time and money:
What To Expect:
- Be sure your furnace tune-up is completed by a professional HVAC service provider
- Confirm that the cleaning is performed by a trustworthy, certified technician with up-to-date training
- Check that the technician cleans all the grime and debris from your furnace – dirt is the number one factor that decreases the efficiency of an HVAC unit and the life of this vital appliance
- Make sure your furnace tune-up includes the full removal and cleaning of the blower assembly
- Insist on a full blower and motor cleaning
- Ensure the technician inspects the heat exchanger for integrity and checks for any breaches in the system
- Have the HVAC technician check the gas pressure (if applicable) and ensure that it’s regulated properly
- Be sure that the drain lines are cleared of all debris
- Have the technician change the air filter in your furnace if needed
- BONUS TIP: Change your own furnace air filter every three months (depending on the filter type) and keep your air cleaner and your utility bills lower
What To Avoid:
- Steer clear of a furnace breakdown by not having an HVAC tune-up
- Don’t have just a general inspection of your furnace – an inspection doesn’t properly clean and prepare your furnace for the winter and you probably have to call back for a repair with the first sign of cold weather
- Avoid using untrustworthy HVAC service providers altogether
- Avoid technicians that leave your home dirtier than before the HVAC cleaning – a suitable furnace cleaning should not just clean your HVAC unit but keep your home neat as well
- Finally, don’t trust a technician that doesn’t answer your questions and alleviate your concerns while he’s in your home – the right technician isn’t afraid of questions you have about your HVAC unit and answers all questions knowledgeable and confidently
A proper furnace cleaning prepares your home for winter’s cold by preventing any surprise furnace repairs in the middle of the season. In the worst case scenario, if you require a complete furnace replacement, a suitable HVAC tune-up alerts you to your need before you’re left in the cold. Prevent an HVAC emergency and stay warm this winter with the right cleaning and tune-up today.